The erstwhile Barapada Engineering School (BES), came into being in the year 1957. Late Dr Hare krushna Mahatab, the then Chief Minister of Orissa conceived the idea with the objective of developing it in due course to a Rural University that would have a positive impact on the economic progress of rural Orissa. Initially, the school was organized and managed by an eminent citizen of Bhadrak, Late Narendra Prasad Das. But, unfortunately due to bleak employment opportunity, in the middle 1960s, it was closed down. However, again in1982, it emerged as Barapda School of Engineering & Technology (BSET) at the same site and same land.